foreign language display in web

Jian Liu jiliu at script.lib.indiana.edu
Wed Sep 24 12:49:26 EDT 1997

Dear all,

We have a web cluster here, running windows 95, with only netscape (right
now 3.03, later 4.03) on them. More and more people are coming to use
them, and will download some strange plug-ins or other stuff to read
newspaper in their native language.

This prompted to think about setting up the cluster to support as many
foreign lanuages as possible, so they don't need to download anything to
read their languages.

Here's what I am thinking of doing, and would like to hear from you first.

I know emacs 20.1 (or whatever the latest version is) has language support
of over 20 languages now. I am thinking of downloading all the fonts
(free, I assume) and install them on the windows 95 machines.

Is this enough to provide language support? Sounds too easy to me. How are
you doing it?

If there is enough interest, I'll summarize.

Thanks

Jian Liu
Indiana University Libraries