Networking CD-ROMs - Further Query

kay mary kaym at laurel.humboldt.edu
Wed Sep 24 10:07:14 EDT 1997

> Our experience is that we were able to migrate to
> Internet-accessible databases for nearly all of our products, and
> have been very happy with them.  Less work for mother, people
> like them, and they're accessible in the farthest corners of the
> region, unlike our CD towers.
>
> On the other hand... there were some problems to consider:
>
> 1) Not all products are available over the 'net.  We have a few
> boutique CDs available in the Library, for that reason.   This
> works for us, but it may not work for you.

It's wonderful if the needs of your clientele are satisfied by the
web-based resources you offer.  But unfortunately, a wide variety of
cd-rom and Windows-based resources such as Routledge's new Encyclopedia of
Philosophy are appearing.  We'd love to offer them to the relevant
faculty and students via our network, but unfortunately the faculty are
lodged in another building, plus run a mix of Windows and Mac machines.
And the students use labs on the campus network.

What advice do you have to resolve THIS problem?  Please, anyone is
welcome to provide help here!

Mary Kay
Humboldt State University Library