Networking CD-ROMs

Sue Swanson swanson at BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Sep 23 18:38:29 EDT 1997

Dear Colleagues,

I am new to this list, so please forgive me if this is a rehash of familiar
territory.

The Brandeis University Libraries currently use a Novell network with two
sets of towers supporting over 60 CDs and networked to a limited number of
workstations in two buildings on campus.  In addition, we use an antiquated
"juke-box" system housing over 150 CD's that is accessed from several "stand
alone" workstations in the Main Library.

We need to upgrade our hardware and are wondering what other libraries are
currently doing with CD-ROMs. Are people still using towers?  What success
have you had with newer technologies (access through webpage, etc.)?
Particularly with technology supporting 200+ disks?

We are also interested in increasing accessibility campus-wide (beyond the
on-site only LAN and stand alone stations).  What is your experience with
that (technological issues, not licensing restrictions)?

Thank-you in advance for any experiences you can share!

Sue Swanson,
for the Technology Infrastructure Task Force
Brandeis University Libraries

Susan E. Swanson
Reference Librarian
Brandeis University Libraries
415 South Street                        telephone: (781) 736-4689
Waltham, MA  02254-9110                 e-mail:  swanson at brandeis.edu