Eye-strain, maximum visibility

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Sep 23 10:37:08 EDT 1997

>With respect to Windows 95, there is a free program
>Microsoft has made available:   win95gray.exe.  This
>program, originally bundled with Microsoft Plus, offers
>a feature called "font smoothing."  I believe it should be
>still available at the Microsoft site (www.microsoft.com),
>or, if not there, at a place like www.shareware.com.  I
>believe the program requires a 16.7 million color palette,
>so most systems will be able to use this at 648x480x16.7,
>while other systems with more video memory will be able
>to use the 800x600x16.7 resolution.  Once installed, a new
>menu tab is added to your desktop properties, and you
>can now use "large icons," as well as set a number of
>previously unavailable options.

The font smoothing program from Microsoft just requires more than 256
colors, so you can use it with 16-bit color depths (64k colors rather than
16M).  Adobe Type Manager also does onscreen anti-aliasing, and I believe it
works with 256 colors.

Thomas ("Plus you get Myriad and Adobe Garamond!") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu