What's New on the DL SunSITE

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 18 11:00:54 EDT 1997

What's New on the Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/

Since my last "What's New" message back in March (my, how time flies!)
the SunSITE was upgraded to 4 CPUs, 1GB of RAM, and 100MB network
connection to the university backbone. As always, if you have any
questions or comments please email me at this address or
manager at webjunction.org.

New Sites
---------
* Pathfinder
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8000/
The UC Berkeley Library catalog is now Web accessible! This greatly
improves searching and also allows seamless access to resources on the Web.

* Ebind: Digital Page Imagining and SGML
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Ebind/
Electronic binding (or "ebind") is a way to use SGML to provide
structured access to and navigation of a series of page images, such as a
scanned book. This site shows examples and also provides information on
how to do it.

* The American Heritage Virtual Archive Project
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/amher/
"The Project is creating a shared database of EAD-encoded finding aids
describing and providing access to collections documenting American
history and culture" (from the main page). I couldn't have said it better
myself.

* Days of Cal
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/CalHistory/
Have you ever wondered what college students did for fun around the turn
of the century? You probably would be better off not knowing, but if you
can't overcome your curiosity, point your Web browser to this site on the
history of UC Berkeley, culled from the University Archives. And don't
say I didn't warn you!

* Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS)
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/APIS/
The Berkeley part of the National Endwoment for the Humanities-funded
APIS project is focused on the Tebtunis Papyri, which is "the largest
collection of papyrus documents from a single site in the United States.
Although the collection has never been counted and inventoried
completely, the number of fragments contained in it exceeds 21,000. This
web site, which is still under development, will provide electronic
access to the images of the Tebtunis Papyri as well as textual
information." Stay tuned.

* Modern Language Association of America's Draft Guidelines for
Electronic Scholarly Editions
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/MLA/intro.html
The goal of these draft guidelines is "to enhance the usability and
reliability of scholarly editions by making full use of the capabilities
of the computer."

New Software
------------
* Web Site Indexing: SWISH-Enhanced and AutoSwish
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/
We've long wanted to enhance the wonderful indexing program SWISH to make
use of HTML META tags, in which you can embed cataloging information in
your Web pages, and also fix some bugs. Kevin Hughes gave us his
permission for us to do this, and the result is SWISH-Enhanced. But we
went further than that. We also programmed a front-end to SWISH-E that
enables Web site administrators to set up the software, register users,
and let those users index whatever they like by filling out a simple Web
form. We took care to design this interface as simply as possible without
losing any of the available power of SWISH-E. Take a look and let us know
what you think. SWISH-E now supports all indexing of Web documents on
SunSITE, and also underlies such services as the Librarians' Index to
the Internet (http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/InternetIndex).

* CALIPR: Preservation Planning Software
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/CALIPR/
CALIPR is an MS-Windows program for assessing the preservation needs of
book and document collections for institutional or statewide planning.

* Java Workshop 2.0 Beta Release Program
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/java/
We are the authoritative mirror site for this free software from Sun
Microsystems, Inc. for developing Java software.

Significant Additions to Existing Sites
---------------------------------------

* Emma Goldman Papers
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Goldman/
Since our last "What's New" message, a great deal has been added to this
site, with additions to existing sections as well as the creation of
these new ones: "A Curriculum for Middle and High School Students,"
"Emmarabilia," (testimonials, things to buy, etc.) "Published Essays and
Pamphlets," "Speeches," and "Newspaper and Third Party Accounts".
Meanwhile, "Document Highlights" has been greatly expanded due to
contributions of scanned page images from the University of Pennsylvania
Van Pelt Library, the International Intstitute for Social History in
Amsterdam, and others. The captions of these document images are also
searchable.

* Jack London Collection
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/London/
The novel "The Star Rover" has been added, and the short story
collections "Tales of the Fish Patrol," "Children of the Frost," and "The
Night Born" are now complete.   London's works by date of composition. A
full-length digitized song about Jack and Charmian, appropriately called
"Jack and Charmian" is now available in the new "Multimedia" section of
the site. Another new section of the site highlights Jack London
Organizations. We also now have a chronological list of all of London's
works.

* Literature @ SunSITE
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Literature/
We continue to build our collection of literature one book at a time, and
the following titles have been added: Frederick Douglas: "Narrative of
the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave," Jane Austen: "Emma"
and "Persuasion," Mary Austin: "The Land of Little Rain"

* Online Medieval and Classical Library
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/OMACL/
Titles added to this collection include "Danish History," "The Lay of the
Cid," and "The Story of the Volsungs (Volsungasaga)".

Roy Tennant, Manager
Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE