counting internet usage

hyman at sjrlc.org hyman at sjrlc.org
Thu Sep 11 12:09:23 EDT 1997

I am currently working with some social scientists who have expressed
disdain for the assessment skills of librarians. I'm definitely sighing as
I read and listen to the discussion of documenting Internet usage.

Not being a purist, I have no objection to the generation of totally
meaningless large numbers (i.e. web page hits) if it requires no cost or
effort. You never know when a really large number may come in handy with
someone who is not particularly knowledgeable about it's level of meaning.
And it's great to know that I can increase my "number" exponentially by
adding ten more "new" icons to my home page.

It's a big problem, however, if we ourselves start to believe that these
numbers are more than another big number to augment circulation
statistics, with nothing close to the validity and comparability of even
circ.

When we finish counting web page hits, we still don't have the manangement
information we need to plan, develop, assess, and document the service
that we provide. It's getting harder and harder to capture the imagination
of elected officials with abstract numbers, anyway. As a New Jersey
politician said some years back --- I don't want to hear about
circulation, I want to hear about people. Books don't vote.

I think that Jane Goodwin, Coordinator of Planning and Evaluation at the
Fairfax County (Va) Public Library said it really well in the
aforementioned Public Libraries article (May/June 97):

Goodwin expressed her desire to push measurement into the realm of impact
assessment.  She identified the following impacts, which could measure the
difference such resources make for users:

Who are the users of resources (demographic characteristics)
Reasons for use of electronic resources
The kinds of questions being answered with these resources
Length of time of use by individual
Length of wait (as an expression of demand and measure of frustration)
Value of the resource as perceived by the user
Level of enhancement to services resulting from use of the electronic
resource

This is her sole quote in the article which swings back to "the compelling
need to count hits". I realize that Ms. Goodwin's impacts are at the other
end of the risk-reward continuum from counting web page hits. They are
certainly more expensive and time consuming to collect and process but
the result is that we would actually know something worth knowing.

We're in the information business. Do we really want to hang are hats on
numbers so easily manipulated and discredited?

Karen Hyman
Executive Director
South Jersey Regional Library Cooperative
10 Foster Avenue, Suite F-3
Gibbsboro, NJ 08026
609 346-1222

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Ernest Perez wrote:

> [...]
> > popularity of different WWW information sources among your library users.
> > It tells you nothing about how useful, relevant or interesting the
> > information is. Nor does it tell you why the site is popular, and whether
> > it is a result of technical factors (indexing, search results, time to
> > download, time to connect) or factors to do with the material and the
> > reader's interests.
> >

> About all you can actually expect from analyzing hits on a Web server is
> a continuing comparison with itself, assuming that's of any use.  And
> "about:global" results from the client/browser really tell you only what
> an individual user happened to look at at a particular moment in time.
>       [For more on about:global, see "Hidden features of Netscape
>       Navigator ouuups Mozilla !"
>       at <http://wwwcn.cern.ch/~rigaut/about.html>
>
>  Gerry Rowland, State Library of Iowa originally wrote:
> > Internet use statistics are a high priority for libraries at the local,
> > state and national levels.
> > Counting hits by local users against remote Internet servers has been a goal
> > of the FSCS, the national public library statistics project, for several years.
>
> I really don't understand why it's such a high priority. Are we trying
> to measure how hard computers and telecommunications networks are
> working, for some reason? Admittedly, Rowland's recent _Public
> Libraries_ article uses the example of high hits on the Netscape server
> contrasted to much lower hits on library servers, and suggests that we
> might be "losing the war."
>    Seems to me that this is comparing apples and oranges. Are libraries
> going to suffer because the telco's 411 information number gets a lot
> more calls than library telephone reference numbers? Or that TV Guide
> and Dilbert get looked at a bunch more than the 800's section of our
> collections?
>
> Rowland writes:
> > At today's meeting of the FSCS group, we learned that the command
> > "about:global" in the Location: box of the Netscape browser returns a list
> > of files downloaded and a count of total files.  I assume that Internet
> > Explorer has a similar feature.
>
> The deceptive ease of collecting log files is perhaps exactly the
> problem. It all really depends on if you're really recording anything
> worthwhile in the first place.  about:global shows you Netscape's
> history.db file, which is simply a list of all the files you accessed in
> browsing Web pages.
>    For instance, let's say you looked at a "single" page made up of an
> HTML file, a photograph, two pretty line graphics, three "NEW" icons, a
> CGI call, and a couple of other icons or graphic devices. Okay, the hit
> count is going to show that you accessed that server something like 12
> or 15 times.  Is that information supposed to tell us something of ANY
> significance?
>   And that webserver's log file would tally up 12 or 15 accesses.
Well,