Default Download Directory in MSIE/NT 4.0?

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Thu Sep 4 13:54:25 EDT 1997

I'm trying to set up some NT 4.0 machines so that when a user starts to
download a file in Internet Explorer 3.02, it will default to my "Downloads"
directory.  I'm not trying to prevent them from using other directories - the
permissions will take care of that.  I would just like to have this appear as
the default choice, rather than the Desktop, to make it easier for novice users
(and hence for the staff).  I'd also settle for A: as the default.

I thought I saw a registry setting for this once, but I couldn't make it stick,
and then it disappeared.  I have tried downloading a file and then calling up
the registry, thinking it would still be there, but that didn't work.

My experiments with batch files - changing to the directory and calling IE from
there - started IE but still defaulted to the Desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org