databases restricted by ip address

SHERYL DWINELL dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Wed Sep 17 21:09:30 EDT 1997

At Marquette we have databases that are limited to our users and are
restricted by IP. All the links to our databases are on 2 pages (one an
alpha list, the other by subject). The links go to a CGI script that
looks for the remote host to verify if they're coming from on campus. If
they aren't, the script opens a file of passwords that we set up. Patrons
come into the library and sign up for a password. This was the easiest
way we could find to address the problem of patrons wanting to access
databases from home. Our university doesn't offer PPP acounts, either.  We
also have set up a file of IPs at a satellite campus that is called up from
that same CGI script. If their IP address is found they connect to the
database.  So, essentially, our solution has been with CGI scripts. They
were simple to write. The only cumbersome part is having patrons come
into the library to set up their pssword (we want to see their ID). No
one's complained yet.

If you want more details, let me know.

If you want to check out our databases pages:
http://www.mu.edu/library/databases

Sheryl