counting Internet use

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Wed Sep 17 17:07:52 EDT 1997

Over 800 people a month
>are using our web site, instead of their "hometown" (or college or business)
>library...why? And what do we do about what we learn from this? </soapbox>

When you say 'instead' of, what evidence do you have?  Maybe I'm
misinterpreting your statement. I wouldn't assume that if someone from
outside my community makes a hit on my homepage that it means they aren't
also logging into their local library's homepage.  Perhaps you have
something avialble on your site that their local library doesn't. Maybe
they're doing a search and your library comes up as a 'hit'. It might be
hard to ascertain why they're connecting to your site, unless you engage
them in some sort of dialogue.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu