Opimization Question (addendum)

Robert J Tiess rjtiess at juno.com
Wed Sep 17 07:35:17 EDT 1997

One thing I neglected to mention in my original post on
the matter of system optimization is that, if using Windows
3.1/3.11, you should check the Enhanced/Virtual Memory
settings in Control Panel to make sure you are using a
permanent swap file.  Temporary swap files do not
operate as fast as a permanent one, which is merely a
swap file occupying one contiguous part on your hard
drive.  It's only permanent in the sense that its attributes
have been set to a typical hidden/system status.  If, for
whatever reason, you wish at some future date to delete
the swap file, you may do so, although that's definitely
not recommended.  I'm simply saying you can; Windows
will generate its own bootup error/swap file corruption
messages and compel you to reconstitute a new swap
file, and complications may ensue.

If you are running  temporary swap file, you should first
exit the settings menu and Winodws, see if you could clear
our your \temp directory, your netscape\cache directory,
then run a Scandisk and finally defrag.  Once you ask
Windows to create the permanent swap file, something
generally like 10-20 megabytes will be claimed by Windows.
If you're running a multiple drive/partition environment,
putting the permanent swap file on the second, lesser-used
drive is always a good idea, as the swap file, wherever it
lands, will affect future Defrag sessions:  the file cannot
be moved (without a number of steps and hazarding
corruption of the swap file); therefore, all future disk
read/writes and Defragmentations will occur *around*
the swap file.

On Windows 95 a lot of swapping goes on too, and,
after dropping into DOS, you may come across a .SWP
file.  Unlike Windows 3.x, Windows 95 likes you to let it
do what it believes is appropriate in terms of Virtual
Memory.  The trick with Windows 95 is to have as much
physical RAM as is affordable.  16MB is the base level
for Windows 95; anything smaller is just not enough to
run multiple programs or programs at the highest
possible system speed.  32MB (EDO) would be my choice
for today's general workstation.  The more physical RAM
you have--and this is true for ANY version of Windows,
indeed almost every operating system--all the faster and less
reliant on Virtual Memory your computer will be, especially in
a multitasking environment--and so even if you're only running
a single application in a multitasking/multithreading
environment.

			Robert J. Tiess
			Middletown Thrall Library
			http://www.thrall.org