Optimization question

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Tue Sep 16 19:06:55 EDT 1997

--On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 1:47 PM -0700 "Edwin Sperr" <esperr at colacoll.edu>
wrote:
> We have seen the future, and it is slooowwww.
[...]
> It this a Windows problem?  A Netscape problem?  I know it's not
necessarily
> a LAN problem, because it comes up with pages on the C: drive as well. I
don't
> _think_ it's a workstation problem (for the most part 486DXs with 8 megs
on
> board).  I'm looking for FAQ's, tips, techniques and general
hand-holding.

If you are running Windows95, 8MB of RAM is way too small, especially on a
486.  Ideally, you should have 16MB (isn't that the minimum recommended on
the Windows95 box?) and with a 486, 24MB gets closer to ideal.

Basically, Win95 and Netscape are both memory hogs...anything you can add
will greatly improve the situation.

Peter

PS: Come to think of it, you might try looking at the fragmentation on your
hard disk...
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                      pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                   http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html