Optimization question

David King d.king at usm.edu
Tue Sep 16 20:18:40 EDT 1997

>To wit - our library has changed its internal workstations (around 9 of them)
>to start up with a web page.  We've recently acquired access to three new
>web-based databases and the most convenient way to access them (in addition
>to the OPAC, which is via telnet anyway) is just to start up the PCs in
>Netscape 2.02 and let a linked set of web pages lead to each resource.

We're doing this, too. Except we use Netscape 3.0 on Windows NT PCs.
Why 2.02?

>The dreaded hourglass appears, the C:
>drive frantically churns, and the page in question (which should be _right
>there_ in the cache) comes up with excruciating slowness.

That depends on how you have your cache set up under Options.

>It this a Windows problem?  A Netscape problem?  I know it's not necessarily
>a LAN problem, because it comes up with pages on the C: drive as well. I
don't
>_think_ it's a workstation problem (for the most part 486DXs with 8 megs on
>board).  I'm looking for FAQ's, tips, techniques and general hand-holding.

I'd have to guess that it IS a workstation problem. We ran into the same
thing,
but once our Systems people upgraded our public PCs to Pentium 120s with
24 megs, the problem went away.

David King
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Southern Mississippi