W3launch questions

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 12:59:29 EDT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Peter Konshak wrote:
> Locally, I have taken the demo files from the above mentioned site and put
> them in a local w3launch directory, with the w3launch executable.  I
> downloaded the texted.w3l file from the above site as well, and put it in a
> w3launch directory on the web server.  I also created a simple page with a
> link to the texted.w3l file at
> http://www.carmel.lib.in.us/w3launch/w3launch.htm.  However, whenever I try
> to launch the application (text editor) by clicking on the link, I get
> prompted to do a "save as" on the texted.w3l file.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if this a problem on the server?  I'm running MS IIS
> 3.0 under NT 4.0.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks,

I've jst set up w3launch on a Solaris 2.5 UNIX box running the Apache
1.2 web server.  To get my own .w3l documents sent out correctly you need
to ensure that the web server sends out the correct MIME type.  On Apache
this is dead easy; you just add a line to conf/mime.types that says:

application/x-w3launch         w3l

then restart the web server.  If you do the same sort of thing on your MS
IIS you should be up and running.  See your IIS manuals to find out how to
add new MIME type mappings.  If IIS can't handle new MIME types (it should
but you never know with MS stuff) then I think you can now get Apache for
NT.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll