Style Sheets

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Sep 8 10:03:39 EDT 1997

Let me humbly submit the OhioLINK web site as an example of not too bad CSS.
Our standard stylesheet is 449 bytes in size--not exactly a lot of code.
Our home page has 12 lines of embedded style, and our online catalog and
several other databases use another stylesheet that is 389 bytes in size.  I
have hooked a couple of licensed full-text databases to other stylesheets,
the largest of which is 1499 bytes.  Aside from our home page and those
full-text databases, which construct HTML on the fly anyway, there are
probably fewer than half a dozen CLASS= attributes on our site.

I do not use stylesheets as a way to enforce a wacky, way-kewl-dood page
appearance.  I think our stylesheets help make our site legible and
identifiable.

If you're interested, our style sheets are all
http://www.ohiolink.edu/style/

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu