HUSTLER CHALLENGE JACKPOT GROWS TO $250!

Filtering Facts David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Sun Sep 7 19:44:29 EDT 1997

HUSTLER CHALLENGE JACKPOT GROWS TO $250!

Cross-posted to PUBLIB, PUBYAC, WEB4LIB, FILT4LIB, and ALAOIF.

As we enter the third week of the "Would Your Library Carry Hustler If It
Were Free?" challenge, we still have no winner! Filtering Facts made this
offer because many anti-filtering librarians insist that the only reason
they do not carry hard core pornography in their libraries is because they
can't afford it and have limited shelf space. Filtering Facts decided to
give them the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are.

Filtering Facts will pay for a year's subscription to Hustler Magazine to
the first United States public library that will agree to the following
conditions:

1) Put each month's issue of Hustler on normal public display with the
other magazines, such as Time and People.

2) Allow full access to the magazine to anyone who wants it, including
minors, just like you would with a typical magazine.

3) Inform Filtering Facts if an issue is stolen so that we can send an
immediate replacement.

4) Announce the new addition as however your library normally does new
additions, such as through your library newsletter, bulletin board, or
new books display.

In week one, a free subscription to Hustler was offered to the first public
library in the United States that would agree to the stated conditions.
There were no takers, but several people did offer the objection that a
subscription was not really free, since it costs money to process and
circulate a magazine. Filtering Facts then agreed to also provide a check
for $100 to cover such costs.  Since $100 would more that cover the
processing costs, the winning library would actually be making money!
Still no takers.

For week three, the offer has been raised to a free year's subscription and
$250!  With $250, a library could buy several subscriptions.  I had one
library director tell me I could easily raise it to $10,000 and I would
not get any takers.  I happen to think he was right, but I'll just let
the offer stand at $250 and leave it at that, since it more that proves my
point.  The point is that supply, demand, cost and space have nothing to do
with why public libraries don't carry pornography.  Public Libraries don't
carry pornography because it is grossly inappropriate, and we all know that.

So next time you hear Judith Krug, Gordon Conable, or one of the other
hard-core anti-filterers  say "Public libraries would carry pornography if
they had unlimited budgets", remind 'em of the "Hustler Challenge"!

David Burt, Filtering Facts, HTTP://WWW.FILTERINGFACTS.ORG
David_Burt at filteringfacts.org