HTML question

Diane Madrigal dmadriga at unix2.nysed.gov
Fri Oct 31 15:14:41 EST 1997

I've seen a lot of solutions to HTML questions here, so I thought I'd
bring up a problem that's been puzzling me.

On one of our web sites (NYS GIS Clearinghouse,
http://nysgis.nysed.gov/gis/) there's a line (an image, not a <hr>)
that's set to width="100%". On all other pages, the images stretches out
across the entire screen, but on the home page, it's much smaller - maybe
1/4 or 1/3 of the screen - at least when viewed in Netscape (3.0). In
MSIE (3.0), the browser the original author was using, it looks fine.

I know giving the width as a percent, instead of in pixels, isn't
ideal. But as I said, it works elsewhere. And in fact, it even works on
the home page when you go to another page and then go back to the home
page (without reloading). So why doesn't it work when that one page first
comes up?

Any thoughts (or, even better, fixes) would be appreciated.

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library