CD ROM to WWW migration

Peter Green greenp at boris.curtin.edu.au
Wed Oct 29 20:36:14 EST 1997

We have also been struggling with the migration from cdrom to web interface. This has been a particular problem with using Webspirs to access our locally loaded ERL databases. The feedback from clients outside the library has been very positive. The feedback from clients inside the library has been negative. When you are using the database from your office, or from home, the slow speed is offset by the time otherwise spent travelling to the library. However the slower speed is a distinct handicap to clients inside the library.

I live in the expectation that speed (and reliability) will improve over time as the products mature. In the short term we have to live with taking a step backward to take a step forward.

Cheers

Peter

Peter Green
LISWeb Coordinator
Curtin University of Technology
GPO Box U 1987
Perth   Western Australia  6845
Ph + 618 9266 2439    Fax  +618 9266 3947
greenp at boris.curtin.edu.au
http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/library/staffpages/pgreen.html