CD ROM to WWW migration

Howard Pasternack BLIPS15 at brownvm.brown.edu
Wed Oct 29 16:08:20 EST 1997

I have to take exception about the advantages of local cd rom network
access as opposed to the Web.  Many of the products which are available
only in CD form have clients which operate on only one technical platform.
No matter what the technical sophistication of your lan and cd network
software, there is no simple way to explain to a faculty member in the
history department why her Macintosh can not access the ABC-Clio Press
history databases.  Or to a Windows user why he can't get to the Perseus
CD ROM.  While some web accessible databases have user interfaces which
are less sophisticated than their CD ROM counterparts, we here will always
opt for a web accessible product over one which we have to mount and
support locally. And the above does not even begin to address the
sundry ways in which the collection development/acquisitions process is
distorted by technical considerations related to making the product
accessible to your primary clientele. At least with the web you can make a
decision on the costs and benefits of the product, without having to worry
as to whether you having the capacity and the type of networking
infrastructure to support the CD access.

Howard Pasternack
Brown University