(Fwd) - Downloading problems

Andrew Wohrley, Science & Technology Referen wohrlaj at lib.auburn.edu
Tue Oct 28 16:29:04 EST 1997

I received the message below from Netscape.  I had contacted them
yesterday and rather than wait for their advice on how to deal with
my problem I got impatient and posted my question to the group.
Since others seem to have encountered the same problem as myself, I
am posting the message that I got from Netscape with no changes,
except to remove the headers.  I have nothing more to add except I
appreciate Netscape suggesting some more possible solutions.

The first suggestion seems to completely solve the problem.

-----------------------------------

If your system is crashing during java initialization...

You may want to start by seeing the following URL taken
from the Unofficial FAQ:

http://www.sousystems.com/faq/commonly/java_remedy.html

Other alternatives...
Try starting with the simplest solution. Close Communicator. Delete the
entire CACHE directory and the file "netscape.hst". Both are located in
your "...users\yourname" directory.

Then you may try the following alternatives...
The following was taken from the "Nuggies" newsgroup:

The following things, singly or in various combinations, have
*reportedly* fixed the Java stall for some of the people some of the
time. They are listed in no particular order or likelihood of success.

Note: This post contains no warranty, expressed or implied.

Change mem cache to 8192.

Change disk cache to 8192.

Use the -start_java command line switch to start Communicator.

Change display to 256 or less colors.

Overclocking. If you're doing it, stop. If you don't know what it is, it

is unlikely that you're doing it.

Run Communicator with nothing else running - no screensavers, no virus
checkers, no crash catchers, no dictionaries, no DUNCE-like programs, no

system monitors, *no nothing* but dialup and Communicator.

Download and install the Java patch/beta/whatever.
http://developer.netscape.com/software/index.html?content=jdk/download.html

Check to see if your CPU cooling fan is spinning at normal speed.

Uninstall and reinstall 4.02.

Delete and reinstall 4.02.

Completely remove 4.02 and 3.x, and reinstall 4.02.

Substitute 4.03 for 4.02 randomly in the above three, since Java-wise,
they are identical.

RegClean.

Defrag.

Scandisk.

Also....
At this point the Java lockup problems within Communicator appear to
exist only on Windows 95. An external problem can affect NT, however:

Assuming you have NT 4.0 Service Pack 3, install the Java hotfix to fix
a bug in SP3 that can cause this:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/usa/NT40/hotfixes-postSP3/getadmin-fix/

This Java fix is part of the new GetAdmin hotfix. Read all text files in

the directory carefully before proceeding.

I hope this provides you with
helpful information...

Scott S. :*)

Andrew Wohrley