Death Threat Woes

mf at ircam.fr MichaelFingerhut at ircam.fr
Tue Oct 28 02:45:26 EST 1997

Wilfred Drew writes:

> We also do not have e-[m]ail availab[l]e on our public computers in the library.

This is one of the most important points, I think.  Our public terminals
use a specially-developped Web browser as front-end to all access - internal
and external, which is based on Internet Explorer, but has been secured.
Among other things:
- it doesn't allow the user to save any Web pages locally;
- it doesn't allow the user to send mail;
- it doesn't allow the user to telnet or ftp to arbitrary sites;
etc.  For those interested, it is called Archimed Explorer (contact address:
E.Ruyffelaere at archimed.fr, and no, I don't have any return on that, I just
think it is a great stuff to have on public terminals).

Michael Fingerhut
Director, Multimedia Library		http://mediatheque.ircam.fr/
IRCAM, Paris (France)			http://www.ircam.fr/