Advertising on Library Webpages

Donald Barclay dbarclay at Bayou.UH.EDU
Mon Oct 27 09:38:41 EST 1997

Bruce,

Public Radio and Public Television accept advertising (call it what you
will, it's advertising), and they have policies that allow them to reject
ads. There is a case right now where the KKK was trying to uderwrite a St.
Louis public radio station and the station refused the underwriting.
Nobody who accepts advertising does so without some kind of policy on what
is and is not acceptable. Sometimes these policies are challenged. It's
part of the game

In fact, libraries participate in a kind of advertising when they name
themselves, or parts of themselves, after big contributors. What's the
difference between my library being named the M.D. Anderson Library and
having a banner on our webpage advertising a company that made Anderson
rich? When libraries seek naming gifts, they have the right to reject
unacceptable names. I don't think you could get any library in this
country to call itself the "Adolph Hitler Library" for any amount of
money.

Finally, I'm not seriously contemplating advertising on library webpages.
I was just curious. As I said in my original message, "file this under
'Hairs--Wild."

Donald A. Barclay
Coordinator of Electronic Services    always the beautiful answer
University of Houston Libraries       who asks a more beautiful question
dbarclay at uh.edu                               --e.e. cummings
www.uh.edu/~dbarclay