"Default" Pages in MS FrontPage -Reply

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Oct 23 20:34:13 EDT 1997

At 07:04 AM 10/8/1997 -0700, Sheryl Dwinell wrote:
>The original poster had said something about his webmaster saying that in
>FP you 'couldn't' or 'weren't allowed' to name more than one page in the
>entire web 'index.html'.  I haven't seen anyone else respond to this on the
>list, but this just doesn't seem right to me.  I talked to a friend of mine
>who is running a corporate site using FP97 and he scratched his head too at
>this statement.  I wonder if the original poster could fill us in on what
>has transpired since his posting.

Well, here's my (very belated) comment on this....as I catch up on email
backlogs after spending too much time with FP98 today.  It may ALLOW you to
have more....not sure.  But, since by tradition and design we use
index.html as the "homepage" in every directory, when i set up a new web by
importing from an existing server, the links to most (but not all) of the
index.html files  below the top level show as broken, thus leaving the
files below them as orphans.  And my whole point in even messing with FP98
beta was to let it identify all the orphans so I could do some
housecleaning.  No such luck.  Half the files are shown as orphans, at least.

I realize this may be a "feature" in some way, but I find it dysfunctional.
 After all, FP keeps track of relative paths, so it can surely tell one
index.html from another.  If it can't, how can it tell policy.html in a
circulation directory from policy.html in an acquisitions directory.  And,
for that matter how did it know my default was index.html instead of
welcome.html or something else??

dan

Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho 83716-7115 USA
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/   http://www.lili.org/
http://library.idbsu.edu/   http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
Albertsons Library at Boise State, the University for Idaho
Sent me a postcard of a library yet?  You'll get something nice in return.
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534