Intranet Search Engine

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Thu Oct 23 13:12:18 EDT 1997

At 09:32 PM 10/22/97 -0700, Margaret Gross wrote:
>Hi fellow web4libbers
>We are looking for a good search engine for our Intranet, and are
>considering Netscape Catalog. Any recommendations and testimonials for
>the Netscape product or any other product. Our requirements include
>searching documents in their native formats including Word, Wordperfect
>6.1, adobe acrobat, lotus 1-2-3, excel, html, etc. I would also like to
>hear about level of technical skill required to configure and manage
>your search engine.

Please consider Verity's Information Server.  We make the search engine
that's inside the Netscape servers, but in the Netscape products our
advanced features -- summarization, clustering, query-by-example -- are
turned off, along with some of the advanced query operators.  There are also
some limitations on the number of documents and indexes.  We can index all
of the document types you mention, as well as many others.

Please see http://www.verity.com/products/datasheets/is.html

It is designed to be installed by anyone who is familiar with servers; no
special knowledge is required to get it running and indexing Web pages on
the local machine.

Nick Arnett

Product Manager, Advanced Technology
Verity Inc. -- Connecting People with Information

Phone: 408-542-2164               Fax: 408-541-1600
Home office: 408-733-7613         narnett at verity.com
http://www.verity.com