Filtering and Serial Killers

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Oct 23 12:37:22 EDT 1997

At 07:15 AM 10/23/97 -0700, Filtering Facts wrote:
>I thought I did.  It says so on my FAQ.  I'm financed by a few paltry
>donations and my own pocket. Actually, it really doesn't cost a whole lot of
>money to run a web site, as I'm sure you know.  If I start flying all over
>the country and producing slick publications, ask me again.

Thank you very much.  I appreciate it.

As to the person who asked why it matters, I would hope it would be
obvious.  For years people worried about what was "a communist front" or "a
liberal front" or other such things.  The question is still relevant to
many of us.  I have no doubt of David's sincerity and beliefs, and no doubt
about his honesty.  I'd felt that he was less than forthcoming on the
funding, and if it was provided before, my apologies for not seeing it
and/or remembering it.  Now that I know that he isn't building a giant site
funded by [name of some big organization], I have what I wanted to know.

My personal religious/spiritual beliefs are probably much closer to David's
than most would realize, but we do differ on the first amendment issues
involved.  That was driven home last nite when I watched the discussion of
the "Serial Killers Page" on Larry King.  And I was most pleased with good
ol' Larry Flynt, in that he spoke reasonably on the topic.  He supported
the first amendment rights of the lady who does the SKP, but also supported
AOL's rights under their TOS agreement to not host her site.  I'm sure
she'll have no trouble getting another site, if she hasn't already.

The SKP does raise the interesting question of how many "porn filters"
filter the SKP, and how many don't.  I'll bet that somebody here even knows
the answer to that one.....

dan

Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho 83716-7115 USA
dan at 84.com     http://www.84.com/  http://www.lili.org/
http://library.idbsu.edu/
Have you sent me a postcard of a library yet?  You'll get something nice in
return.
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534