Electronic libraries

Jill Hamrin Postma postmaji at lewis.lewisu.edu
Thu Oct 23 12:47:46 EDT 1997

OK, all you experts...

I hope this isn't off topic for this list, but as the "computer"
professionals in our libraries we're sometimes asked to give input on
anything related to computers. Has anyone faced a board or administrator
who insists that the library can be ALL electronic?  "They" have heard
of paperless libraries and how EVERYTHING is available online or on a CD
and they either want you to research this or insist you implement it.

Those of you who have fought the fight of explaining that we're not
quite there yet, the following questions are fodder for discussion -- I
don't expect to see answers to each question...!

1. a. ARE there any libraries trying to be all electronic?
   b. and have succeeded?
   c. or failed (and why)?

2. What were your arguments against? (you know, the arguments "they"
   heard)

3. Got any references on stories on this subject?  Success, failure, or
   you've got to be kidding stories?

4. Is this an "us" (the librarians) and "them" (the check writers)
   battle?

5. Does the viewpoint depend on the type of library?  The background of
   the check writers? How much "they" LISTEN to "us"?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jill

--
Jill Hamrin Postma, MLIS             Automation/Systems Librarian
Lewis University Library
e-mail:  postmaji at lewis.lewisu.edu