administering collections of internet links

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 08:42:44 EDT 1997

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Elizabeth L. Blakely wrote:
> I know about the OMNI project which provides an administrative
> gateway/database.  Does anyone have any experience with OMNI or know of
> any such tools they can recommend or warn me about.  OMNI's address is
> omni.ac.uk.

Well I don't know whether I can "recommend" as its a bit of the usual
highly frowned upon self-promotion but OMNI use our ROADS toolkit.  ROADS
provides a WHOIS++ server, web based search front end, browsable lists
based on subject descriptors, template editor and adminsitration module.
ROADS was developed as part of the UK's eLib Programme (see
<URL:http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/elib/>.  For more information on ROADS see
<URL:http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/roads/>.

The current stable release of ROADS is available from
<URL:ftp://ftp.roads.lut.ac.uk/pub/ROADS/roads-v1.00.tar.Z>.  It is mainly
written in Perl and requires a UNIX box (PC running Linux is fine), a web
server that supports CGI scripts and Perl 5.002 or later.  For link
checking you need the LWP Perl module.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll

Jon "Jim'll" Knight, Researcher, Sysop and General Dogsbody, Dept. Computer
Studies, Loughborough University of Technology, Leics., ENGLAND.  LE11 3TU.
* I've found I now dream in Perl.  More worryingly, I enjoy those dreams. *