Printing specific pages

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Oct 20 15:40:16 EDT 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Vladislav S. Davidzon <davidzon at metronet.lib.mi.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Monday, October 20, 1997 3:34 PM
Subject: RE: Printing specific pages

>Well there is always the option of copy/pasting it into notepad or
>something similar and printing from there :>  I believe Netscape does the
>same thing that Ms. James pointed out.

I took a few minutes to experiment with this today.  Netscape does a very
unintelligent job of copying/pasting into word processors, converting all
line breaks in the browser to carriage returns.  It is also inexact in
rendering page previews, occasionally getting a couple lines off from actual
print output.

Long time users will recall that Netscape has a track record of poor
printing support.  Some early versions could display tables onscreen but
printed them as blanks, and most versions since then have gotten very
confused about tables and page breaks.  Frames have also underscored
Netscape's halfhearted support for print output.

Short of trying another browser or third party program, there's probably not
a lot you can do about it except complain to Netscape.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu