Staff directories

Louis Rosenfeld lou at argus-inc.com
Sat Oct 18 17:17:29 EDT 1997

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, Christopher Jackson wrote:

> I'm looking for feedback/opinions on the issue of staff directories on a
> public library website.  We intend to create one, probably giving the job
> title, department, and email address of all staff members.

How about also including some description of areas of disciplinary
backgrounds, interests, or experience?  This seems like it would be a good
opportunity to show off your staff's subject expertise.  Providing names
is useful for users who know the person they're looking for, but showing
subject expertise may help users who are interested in a particular topic,
or who have no idea of all the wisdom and experience stored in those
myterious librarians' heads.  ;-)

Louis Rosenfeld                                             lou at argus-inc.com
Argus Associates, Inc.                                   http://argus-inc.com
109 Catherine Street                                   voice: +1.313.913.0010
Ann Arbor, MI  48104  USA                                fax: +1.313.213.8082

Information Architecture for the World Wide Web  (L. Rosenfeld & P. Morville)
O'Reilly & Associates; Jan 1998.      http://www.ora.com/catalog/infotecture/