JavaScript and Canvas Mode

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Thu Oct 16 16:27:26 EDT 1997

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the new Kiosk Mode in Netscape 4.0(also
called Canvas Mode) which uses JavaScript to open new windows with the
ability to enable/disable certain features.  Navigator 4.0 also supports
print and home functions, so it is now possible to replicate a
navigational tool bar using JavaScript functions and to create "Safe"
Kiosk Windows.

The key to securing these windows is a variable called "hotkeys", an
option that is supposed to disable most CTRL and ALT keys.  I've been able
to use the other new options like dependent but I have not had any success
in getting the hotkeys disabled.

Here is the script I've played with for opening a new window(based on a
Netscape example):

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2">

function myFullscreen() {
  jim=window.open('http://tln.lib.mi.us/~nort/','myName',

'width='+screen.width+',height='+screen.height+',top=0,left=0,dependent=1,
hotkeys=1');
}
</SCRIPT>

Hotkeys is enabled which is supposed to disable their use.  I've tried
both ways (1 and 0) without success.  Has anyone had any luck using this
option?

Thanks,

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library