Fairfax County, Boss Bugging, and Copyright

Filtering Facts David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Wed Oct 15 22:43:52 EDT 1997

Chuck Munson wrote:

>I had heard that David Burt was saying that some people were calling
>his employer and complaining about what he was saying in various
>library forums. This should be deplored because we should all have the
>right to speak out professionally. As much as I disagree with David,
>when I heard about this a shudder went down my spine.

Just thought I'd clarify this, in case anyone was worrying that this had
happened on WEB4LIB.  This occurred in late July on the ALA Office of
Intellectual Freedom list.  At least two people contacted my boss to
complain about things I had posted on that list.  I think they were
particularly upset because I told Dorothy Broderick "It's time to wake up
and smell the coffee, Dotty!"  Being irreverent to a revered IFC
(Intellectual Freedom Correctness) icon didn't sit too well with the
doctrinaire OIF fuddy-duddies.  (This is mentioned in Tom Budlong's
hilariously indignant letter denouncing me in the current American Libraries.)

As far as I know, this nonsense stopped after that.  The October American
Libraries, in the "Censorship Watch" column erroneously reports that members
of FILT4LIB have deluged my boss with mail.  This is completely untrue.  I
don't know where they got this garbled version of reality from, but the
fact-checking department must have been on vacation that day.

I'm sorry to see the end of free posting of news articles on this list too.
I think it is a great convenience to the reader, and it also helps promote
discussion as readers can respond directly to the text of the articles.

Gotta get back to the front lines,

David

David Burt, Filtering Facts, HTTP://WWW.FILTERINGFACTS.ORG
David_Burt at filteringfacts.org