County May Allow Parents to Bar Children From Interne

Barbara J. Dean bdean at comp.uark.edu
Wed Oct 15 14:22:15 EDT 1997

ENOUGH!

As the parent of two teenagers, I get enough of this squabbling at home.
You've both made your points -- and, as usual, truth, justice and reality
don't all point in the same direction.

>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:43:54 -0700
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: Bill Drew <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: County May Allow Parents to Bar Children From Interne
>

>CMUNSON wrote:
>
>> Wilfred Drew wrote:
>> >I must voice my support for Roy's decision.  Copyright has nothing to
do it
>> >being "easier just to
>> >mail the damn article to this list."   The easy way is eldom the right way
>> >or the preferred way.  Having been a victim of copyright abuse, I tend to
>> >err on the cautious side.  I strongly suggest we all do that.  The blatant
>> >violations I have seen here recently fly in the face of common sense and
>> >sound judgement.
>>
>> <GADFLY MODE ON>
>> But it does, Mr. Drew! If it was an article from a magazine, I would have
>> sought reprint permission, which I have done before on this list. But
>> online newspaper articles are more ephemeral and given how newspapers run
>> their web sites, simply citing a URL is not enough! Secondly, most of the
>> subscribers on this list don't have access to the paper versions of the
>> article and others may have slow modem connections. Why can't I or David,
>> share an article with this list? I'm not publishing it. I pay for a
>> subscription to the Post.
>
>But you are publishing it!!!!!  Your interpretation of copyright is not
the same that appears to be held by the courts or any
>of the recent literature I have seen on copyright.  You are voicing your
opinion not a fact of the law.  Who has access here
>or not does NOT matter and does not really enter into the discussions.
>
>I mentioned before that I had been a victim of copy right infringment.  It
occured entirely in the lectronic realm of the
>Internet.  Someone extracted my listing of libraries from my publication,
Not Just Cows (which is on the WWW), and called it
>their own.  He/she may have interpreted it as fair use just as your are
interpreteing  posting of entire articles.  I suggest
>you contact a lwayer.  You may need one.
>

>> I think it is unfair to hold those who have a different interpretation of
>> fair use to the narrow, propertarian, pro-corporate interpretation of fair
>> use that other have.
>
>It maybe "unfair" in your opinion but we as librarians are required to
uphold the copyright law even if we disagree with it.

>Bill Drew
>drewwe at morrisville.edu

Barbara J. Dean
Systems - University Libraries