From the aaas.org web site

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Wed Oct 15 14:40:34 EDT 1997

David Rez wrote:

>"Individuals accessing this document and its component documents and/or
>files ARE NOT GRANTED license to:

>1. Alter a Copy of Any Retrieved, Printed, or Stored Document or File
>from this Server

>2. Distribute a Copy (Electronic or Otherwise) of Any Document or File
>from this Server without Permission from the American Association for
>the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (direct requests to
>webmaster at aaas.org)

>3. Charge for a Copy (Electronic or Otherwise) of Any Document or File
>from this Server "

     Ok. What does this have to do with anything?

     I take this as a professional insult. I can tolerate folks like D.
     Burt calling me names, but this post is downright unethical.

     Mr. Rez, does it occur to you that I can give an opinion as a
     professional and not as a representative of my fine organization? Or
     should the folks on this list keep their professional opinions in line
     with the official views of their employing institution?

     As I have said elsewhere, on the job I will do everything I can to
     abide by the wishes of my institution. However, as a professional I
     have the right to make my opinions known which may contradict the
     views of my employer.

     I had heard that David Burt was saying that some people were calling
     his employer and complaining about what he was saying in various
     library forums. This should be deplored because we should all have the
     right to speak out professionally. As much as I disagree with David,
     when I heard about this a shudder went down my spine.

     If this was a list about copyright I could go on about my efforts to
     reach a compromise at an etext site I co-founded (one of the oldest on
     the Internet). Most of the material in the archive is anti-copyright
     and most of the archive administrators are against copyright. But we
     do have some copyright materials and would like to secure more, so we
     have had to reach a compromise.

     Believe me, I'm no newbie to this subject.

     Chuck
     Whose opinions are his, is that clear?