[Fwd: "Default" Pages in MS FrontPage -Reply]

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Oct 15 09:16:26 EDT 1997

It appears from the original that the webmaster does not want you to
name your file index.html because the webmaster may accidentally put it
in the wrong directory which would clobber a file in that directory
called index.html which has nothing to do with the capabiilities of the
web server or FP.  Also, I am running Netscape Enterprise server which
lets you define up to three different default html file names.  Other
web server programs also have this feature.  You should ask your web
administrator if this is the case at your site and if so then ask if you
can name your file to one of the other default names.  When the web
server opens a directory with out being given a filename it will then
check for the default filenames in the order in which they were defined
in the web server.

Thomas Bennett

> Sheryl Dwinell wrote:
>
> > >1) Rename it on the fly while uploading--e.g. ftp foobird.html
> > >index.html  (that's using Unix, but I'm sure some Windows ftp
> > >programs offer this feature--WS_FTP mentions it in its options)
> > >
> > >2) Give the file two names on the server; e.g.
> > >
> > >ln foobird.html index.html
> >
> > These are great ideas that Karen gave, especially using the good ol'
>
> > UNIX
> > link command.  Personally, I do the third. I use FP too, but our
> > server
> > doesn't have the FP server extensions, so I ftp my pages from my PC
> > onto
> > the server. Thus, I have a backup of every file. Whenever I export
> an
> > index.html file, I check really carefully to see which directory I'm
>
> > in and
> > no matter what files I'm exporting (unless it's some huge number
> after
> > some
> > global change) I open my browser and check the pages to see how they
>
> > look
> > after editing.  Our site is still small enough that I can be this
> > nit-picky.
> >
> > The original poster had said something about his webmaster saying
> that
> > in
> > FP you 'couldn't' or 'weren't allowed' to name more than one page in
>
> > the
> > entire web 'index.html'.  I haven't seen anyone else respond to this
>
> > on the
> > list, but this just doesn't seem right to me.  I talked to a friend
> of
> > mine
> > who is running a corporate site using FP97 and he scratched his head
>
> > too at
> > this statement.  I wonder if the original poster could fill us in on
>
> > what
> > has transpired since his posting.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
> > Memorial Library * Marquette University
> > P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
> > 414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu

  ;/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

;/*  Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett   Appalachian State University   */
;/*  bennettt at am.appstate.edu        Belk Library                   */
;/*  bennetttm at appstate.edu          Systems And Automation Team    */
;/*  bennett at wncln200.lib.unca.edu   Computer Consultant II         */
;/*  Office: 704 262 2795            Cellular: 704 266 3743         */
;/*  http://Whitewolf.library.appstate.edu                          */

If it works, don't fix it!