Will Manley's Column

Filtering Facts David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Sun Oct 12 11:51:55 EDT 1997

Here is Will Manley's great column from the October, 1997 issue of
American Libraries.

ARE WE FREE TO TALK HONESTLY ABOUT INTELLECTUAL FREEDOM?
 By Will Manley

	The debate on filtering the Internet to block patron access to
pornographic Web sites has become quite troublesome.  Actually,
it's not a debate: It's a litmus test that measures commitment to
intellectual freedom.

	If you toe the professional party line of giving children and
young adults free and unfettered access to every X-rated Web site that
the Net has to offer, you're a good guy, a defender of the First
Amendment, and a champion of intellectual freedom.

	If you decide that in your particular local situation it is
more appropriate from a public-relations and family-values standpoint
to use blocking software, you're a bad guy, a craven coward who has
violated sacred professional principles by caving into pressure from
closed-minded conservative censors.

	Not only is this name calling (and you can imagine the names
I'll be called as a result of this column) a weak substitute for
engaging in rational discourse, it is also a wellspring of hypocrisy.
I have labored in the library vineyard for 27 years and the greatest
disappointment I have had about our profession is not our low pay and
long hours but rather our unwillingness to respect the intellectual
freedom of those who want to express themselves openly about
intellectual freedom.

	On all other hot topics - technology, outsourcing, and the
future of the book - there is little or no peer pressure to restrain
your desire to rant and rave to your heart's content.  But if you
really care about your reputation in the profession, you better watch
what you say about intellectual freedom.  With just a few words of
dissent you'll be branded a censor, and in library circles you're
better off being accused of being a mass murderer than a censor.
At least those accused of mass murder are given due process.
It's the greatest of ironies  that intellectual freedom is the only
professional issue in which it is not safe to exercise your
intellectual freedom.

	All points of view that fall short of our extreme "give
everyone unfettered access to everything" party line are branded
as dangerous heresies that will lead us down the slippery slope to a
repressive society.

	Of course, that's what we say.  What we do is something far
different.  In public we preach full access; in private we censor.
We get away with this because we call our censorship "selection".

	The best recent example of this hypocrisy was how public
librarians finessed the sticky issue of Madonna's best-selling sex
book.  The number of libraries that own that book is minuscule.
Clearly it was far too explicit.  Very few librarians wanted to have
to defend it in front of angry library boards, city councils, county
commissions, or parent groups.  So they simply decided not to buy the
book.  But this was not an act of censorship, it was an act of
selection.  Every librarian that I talked to said that he or she
passed on the book not because of its X-rated content, but because it
was published with a metal cover and spiral binding that were not
conducive to practical library use.

	The hypocrisy of this little white lie becomes obvious when we
think about what would happen if Danielle Steele's next bestseller
were to appear in a similar heavy-metal format.  No doubt we would
buy it in multiple copies and congratulate the publisher for putting
Steele into steel, a material that can withstand the abuse of the
hundreds of patrons eager to get their hands on the book.

	Why did so many librarians lie about their real reason for not
getting the Madonna book?  Quite simply, they were afraid of being
called censors by their professional peers.  When I passed on the
Madonna book I mad the mistake of explaining that its explicit content
was inappropriate for a community library.  Consequently I was branded
a censor.  It was a most unpleasant experience.

	My point here is not to advocate censorship, but to advocate
honesty.  For too long our discourse on intellectual freedom has been
a sterile exercise in peer pressure that ignores the
often-unappreciated and little-understood difficulties of the
librarian working in the crossfire of a cultural war waged between
First Amendment extremists and cultural conservatives.  For those of
us in the middle of this crossfire, it can be a harrowing experience.

	Next month I will explain why the issue of the filtering the
Internet will finally force the library profession to debate the issue
of intellectual freedom without the cover of past hypocrisies.
The stakes have now changed, and our dialogue will have to get real.

David Burt, Filtering Facts, HTTP://WWW.FILTERINGFACTS.ORG
David_Burt at filteringfacts.org