Updating: Full Text Daily News Archives With Search Engines

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 11 21:45:15 EDT 1997

Peter et. al.

The News Division of the Special Libraries Association has a page of
full-text newspaper archives pointers at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/slanews/internet/archives.html.  Although some of
them are fee-based, there are plenty of free ones, many of which are not
included in your (excellent and highly recommended) resource.

The American Journalism Review's NewsLink has a search tool at
http://www.newslink.org/searchn.html which permits searching of a variety of
online news archives.  Since the resources, available via a drop-down menu,
are varied, there's no good way of knowing the depth of the archives.  Looks
like mostly current stuff, but...  The site itself is very rich with links
not only to media organizations of all types worldwide, but there's also
original content on press critiques, etc.

A relatively new site called News Hunt allows searching not only for current
news but provides access to the searchable archives of (now at least) 66
papers at
http://www.newshunt.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?fields=4&query=Archives
There's a decent annotation for each site, which describes years available,
etc.

The Southfield (MI) Public Library has a collection of about 20 searchable
news archives at
http://metronet.lib.mi.us/SFLD/linkarch.html

FWIW

Shirl Kennedy (who was a news reporter before she went to library school)