Sixth revision of astronomy link-library

Wayne Daniels wdaniels at gwmail.mtrl.toronto.on.ca
Fri Oct 10 13:44:46 EDT 1997

Cross-posted to a number of lists. Please excuse duplication.

This is to announce the sixth revison, in a little less than a year,
of the astronomy link-library maintained by the Metro Toronto
Reference Library. It is, we think, certain to be useful to K12 (and
other) teachers as a rich source of Internet materials for teaching
purposes, as well as to amateur astronomers and hobbyists. Our site
is called "Expanding Universe : a classified search tool for amateur
astronomy"
(http://www.mtrl.toronto.on.ca/centres/bsd/astronomy/index.html).

Over a hundred new subject sites have been added (general astronomy,
solar system, deep sky, and others), and many new links to
associations as well. For those unfamiliar with Expanding Universe,
the idea is to classify sites using a modified form of Dewey to
create browsable library "shelves". We expect, too, that students who
become familiar with a classified approach to information are likely
to become more efficient users of conventional libraries. As ever, we
welcome site suggestions and other helpful input. Please take a look.

For more information, check the next issue of LIBRARY HI TECH for an
article titled, "Browsing Your Virtual Library : the case of
Expanding Universe."

Clear skies,

Wayne Daniels

Metro Toronto Reference Library