Technology plans

lerczak at juno.com lerczak at juno.com
Wed Oct 8 15:06:35 EDT 1997

Please excuse any duplication due to cross-posting.

I know the topic of technology plans has come up before, but I was hoping
that I could get a little more specific help. I have checked out the 4
web pages that are listed in the archives and looked over their plans,
however, there didn't seem to be any that spoke directly to our
situation.

We are a co-central library in rural Western New York (serving two
counties of approx. 227,000). We are located in a community of about
17,000 people. Currently, we have 2 Internet computers, 2 computers for
word processing and a Children's computer for CD-ROMS. We are sufficing
with a dot matrix and an ink jet printer, though at some point in the
near future we hope to have 2 more ink jets. Our means of Internet access
is through a local dial-up (we have 3 accounts, 2 for the public and 1
for staff).

Most of the technology plans I have encountered are for urban public
libraries or for library systems. Is there anyone out there with a
similar set of circumstances (I'm not looking for an exact match!) that
would share their technology plan with us, or at least give us some words
of wisdom? Any and all help is extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Nicki Lerczak

Reference/Internet Librarian  / Olean Public Library
lerczak at juno.com                   \ 134 N. Second St.
home.eznet.net/~opublicl       / Olean, NY 14760
"Eating kittens is just plain wrong!"