updating web pages from submissions

Nancy Bunker nbunker at whitworth.edu
Wed Oct 8 14:22:48 EDT 1997

Sheryl

We have solved most of this problem by requiring all submissions done in an
electronic format; either e-mail or on a floppy disk.  Most people don't
complain and many find it easier to do by e-mail anyway.  When they send the
document we convert it to HTML or cut and paste to an existing HTML file.
Both ways are easier than starting from scratch.  I have also found that the
URL's are more likely to be correct when they are typed than if I am
deciphering handwriting.

We also would rather update the pages ourselves (as webmaster team) than
give control of pages to people to edit themselves, without training.  (The
institution does not fund any type of training for maintaining web pages,
but that is another issue)

At 03:42 PM 10/7/97 -0700, Sheryl Dwinell wrote:
>  What I'm writingabout is that I'm trying to find one method for people to
make submissions
>for changes to their pages. I'm trying to get away from situations where
>people hand me a sheet of paper with links written in pencil. Something
>that is so easy that I don't have to listen to any whining about how much
>extra effort it takes.  So, I'm addressing this to those of you who find
>yourselves in the same boat, where you are the one who does the actual
>editing of pages from submissions made by other librarians in your library.
>In particular, additions to existing pages. Do you have a particular
>process that seems to work well and doesn't involve too much effort on your
>part?
Nancy Bunker
Coordinator of Reference Services
Whitworth College Library