Filtering Web Site?

Petter Naess pnaess at usis.no
Wed Oct 8 02:43:56 EDT 1997

Reply to the message of Tuesday October 7, 1997 21:41 +0200

>Does anyone know of a Web site that tries to treat
>filtering even-handedly? I'm not looking for sites that
>push one philosophy or the other. Rather, I'm looking
>for a site that attempts to present both sides of the
>issue, probably offering links to the "pro" and "con"
>sites as options.

>Thanks,

>Bernie Sloan

I recommend you have a look at Jeannette Allis Bastian's article,
"Filtering the Internet in American Public Libraries: Sliding Down the
Slippery Slope," in the most recent issue of First Monday.
(http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue2_10/bastian/)  She does an
admirable job of presenting both sides of the issue, and her notes include
references to both print articles and web sites for further
reading, both pro and con.

Appended to the third articel in Jon Katz's three-part series about
filtering in the the Netizen (Library Wars I-III) is a thread of nearly
100 contributions generated by the question:

"What's your take on the dilemmas emerging as
libraries become community gateways to new
technologies. Is this a place where blocking
software makes sense? Who should decide?

(http://threads.hotwired.com/cgi-bin/interact/replies_index?msg.42072)

Regards, Petter Naess

Petter Naess
Information Resource Center