updating web pages from submissions

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Oct 7 14:32:30 EDT 1997

Hi all:

We have several people who 'maintain' pages of links in various subject
areas. I use the word 'maintain' loosely since they don't actually do any
work on the actual HTML file. Ok, now before anyone writes to me
incredulous that we have people who don't work on their own pages, let me
say that I don't really like it either, but this is reality. I'm really
trying VERY hard to change it, but there's only so much pushing one can do
with their professional colleagues. The majority either have a fear of
doing HTML or feel they just don't have time.  It's sort of a political
thing here, so let's ignore that situation right now.  What I'm writing
about is that I'm trying to find one method for people to make submissions
for changes to their pages. I'm trying to get away from situations where
people hand me a sheet of paper with links written in pencil. Something
that is so easy that I don't have to listen to any whining about how much
extra effort it takes.  So, I'm addressing this to those of you who find
yourselves in the same boat, where you are the one who does the actual
editing of pages from submissions made by other librarians in your library.
In particular, additions to existing pages. Do you have a particular
process that seems to work well and doesn't involve too much effort on your
part?

Thanks much!

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu