Promoting a paragraph

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Oct 7 10:40:28 EDT 1997

I hear what Tom Dowling and Peter Gorman are saying. And, I love style
sheets. If you absolutely have to have 5 pixels of space in your hanging
indents or whatever, then go with style sheets.  But, if the spacing is not
a major concern, and you can live with using good 'ol <ul> or <dl>, why not
just use them?  Sure browsers will ignore style sheets if they can't read
them, but if I want something to look like a an indented list, I don't want
the degraded page to have the lines separated with paragraph tags.  I'd
rather just go with the <ul> or <dl> because I know it'll look the same on
80-90% of the browsers our patrons use. This is standard HTML. I wouldn't
suggest anyone use anything that wouldn't pass validation.  I'm really not
trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering what's wrong with using
simple HTML solutions that would give a consistent look to the largest
group of viewers.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu