Counters

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Fri Oct 3 15:51:04 EDT 1997

Thomas Dowling wrote:

> I've also been disappointed lately at seeing a lot of library home pages
> with "This page best viewed with [Browser X]".  Some go as far as to tell me
> what screen resolution and color depth I should be using.  That smacks of
> laziness, ignorance, or both, IMHO.

Another way to look at it might be to view it as a simple suggestion of
how one's page is gonna look the best.  I guess it's sorta like printing
a magnification factor on microfilm boxes, rpm speed on records, or film
size on cameras/film. I don't think there'd be any objection to that.

MANY web managers simply haven't got the time or inclination to do
nit-picky perfectionist evaluations upon every browser known to
humanity. (Does obsessive-compulsive have a hyphen?)  :-)

Back in the early days of HTML, one of the advantages was that it WAS a
simple standard that would remain usable across browsers & platforms.
Too bad the marketplace decided to start playing with proprietary
features. Same thing happened to vendor implementations of MARC, I
guess.  At least people stuck pretty close in remaining faithful to
ASCII standard coding.