catalog links to web sites

Karl Fattig kfattig at polar.bowdoin.edu
Thu Oct 2 16:18:29 EDT 1997

John,

One thing I have mentioned to our OCLC Regional Network NELINET, and on
some lists in general is that I think a project such as the one you
describe would be beneficial to lots of libraries. Especially if the
records could be obtained from OCLC or some other vendor much like we
obtain records for Major Microforms projects. In fact, what I have
suggested is "Major Internet Resources" -- where a library would agree to
catalog a subset of useful internet resources (say literature, or "ready
reference sources") and then this set of records could be made available to
other libraries as a product. Do others feel this would be a service you
might "buy"?

I think that if librarians were involved in the selection/cataloging of
such resources, the end result would be a good one. I know that putting
such records in the catalog is a controversial subject, but I believe we
must begin organizing these useful resources.

As for catalogs with a lot of links to useful internet resources, I'd check
Washburn University's catalog (http://lib.wuacc.edu/) and search for the
subject "internet resource".

Karl Fattig