preventing Netscape from setting wallpaper

Alison O'Balle a.oballe at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 1 17:37:05 EDT 1997

Here's another suggestion that looked slightly different to me.  This comes
from one of our systems staff:

(1) Load the local user's registry hive under administrator.
(2) Go to Control Panel/Desktop.
(3) Verify the wallpaper value is "".
(3) Set the permissions on this key so that the local user is read only.
(4) Unload hive.

This will prevent any of this key's settings from being changed by the
local user but none of these should be of concern.  There are only a
couple of values that are significant to us, and I don't believe the
local user needs control of them.  For example, the screen saver is
specified here.

Netscape will still save image files to \winnt\netscape wallpaper.bmp,
but the operating system won't display them.  Also, this avoids the
problem that if the wallpaper file is made read only, then Netscape
crashes when it tries to save over the existing file.

a.oballe at mail.utexas.edu
(512)495-4390
(512)495-4347 FAX