WEB4LIB digest 813

Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator webguru at gtu.edu
Mon Oct 6 12:10:21 EDT 1997

At 7:39 AM -0700 10/5/97, JQ Johnson wrote:
>...and the de facto standards defined by the popular browsers. Ignoring the
>imprtance of the last is ignoring economic and practical reality.

In what way?

I mean why should I take the effort to design pages with features that can
only be seen by the current versions of one or two browsers?

Also many of the students I talk to are using old versions of browsers as
they cannot afford to, or their computers are incapable of, adding more RAM.

Perhaps that doesn't matter if your are a comercial site that only wants to
reach people who have high powered machines and the expertise to upgrade
their browsers on a regular basis but in an academic situation our patrons
often have hand me down machines.

Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator webguru at gtu.edu
(currently Gilles Poitras gpoitras at gtu.edu)
Graduate Theological Union Library
2400 Ridge Road         Berkeley, California, USA
http://www.gtu.edu/library/