Web Site Garage...free web page check

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Nov 22 16:29:17 EST 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Scott <scottp at moondog.usask.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Saturday, November 22, 1997 12:43 PM
Subject: Web Site Garage...free web page check

>"A 5 point checkup to diagnose common mistakes in Web site maintenance and
>promotion"
>
>It also compresses .GIF and .JPG files for faster loading.
>
>http://www.WebSiteGarage.com/

The 5-point checkup includes analyses of how fast your page loads, whether
it has dead links, "popularity" (meaning the number of links to your page
detected by Infoseek, a spelling check, and a review of your "HTML Design".
I keep track of the first two myself, don't care about the third, have
better tools for the fourth, and as for the fifth...

A coworker pointed out this URL just a couple days ago.  Our home page got a
Poor rating for HTML design; marks off for not having height and width
attributes in an image (they're use is certainly not recommended in all
cases) and multiple instances of:

     invalid attribute 'alt' in <area>

For those scoring at home, an alt attribute is *required* for the AREA
element in HTML 3.2 and 4.0.

We also show a "fail" mark for one dead link check, when in fact the link
just requires authorization.

What the heck, it's free.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network