She catalogs me, she catalogs me not...

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Fri Nov 21 14:03:06 EST 1997

My own book arrived today, via UPS, and I finally broke down and opened it
up.  On page xviii (is that pronounced "eighteen" or "ex vee eye eye
eye?"), I say:

"There is one collection-oriented tool, a commercial product called The
Library Channel, which I discuss in the product reviews.  The fact that
this software includes many blocking mechanisms speaks eloquently to the
reality of cataloging the entire Internet."

At the time I was referring to largely *manual* indexing on a very small
scale with very limited resources, whereas yesterday I was thinking about
highly automated activities, using very smart software, on a much more
ambitious scale.  It did cross my mind to wonder if I was capable of
holding two mutually exclusive beliefs simultaneously... my thoughts on
that: yes and no!

Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library  |  Contractor, GCI
Councilor-at-Large, American Library Association
The Internet Filter Assessment Project:
 http://www.bluehighways.com/tifap/
Author, Forthcoming: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters
(Neal Schuman, 1997 ISBN 1-55570-322-4)