Is Yahoo! still useful?

Eric Rumsey rumsey at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 18 17:47:23 EST 1997

On Nov 18, Chuck Munson wrote -
>I've   submitted web sites half a dozen times to Yahoo! and they never got
> added.

I keep a page that points to new medical/health sites added to Yahoo ...
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/mednew.html
... Rest assured, they are still adding a large volume of sites ... trouble
is, a large proportion are from the .com domain. I've had the same
frustrating experience submitting pages to Yahoo that you have.

To see the new sites added, broken down by Yahoo section, see -
http://www.yahoo.com/new/
Of course, the Business and Economy section predominates! ...

As far as the general usefulness of Yahoo ... I do regular link checking of
lists in the Hardin Meta Directory (see URL in signature) to see that
they're maintaining a reasonable connection rate, and Yahoo generally does
quite well - They must be spending a fair amount of time/energy checking
links.

Eric Rumsey, Hardin Library for the Health Sciences
University of Iowa, Iowa City IA 52242
<eric-rumsey at uiowa.edu>
319-335-9875 (voice), 319-335-9897 (fax)
Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin-www/md.html
Featured in Internet Medicine (Lippincott-Raven), June 1997