Browser usage.

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Nov 17 16:30:55 EST 1997

>This raises the following question in my mind:
>
>1. If people are using Win95, why not use the latest browser?
>
>2. Some are still using Netscape 1.0 and 2.0, why?

The most likely answers are inertia and system requirements.  Upgrading a
browser takes a certain amount of effort; some people don't think it's worth
it.  Also, every generation requires more disk space and memory than its
predecessor.  If you don't have the space to load it, you stay with the
earlier version.

Then there are issues of personal preference when a program changes.  For
example, I've heard some people say that they'll never give up Netscape 3 in
favor of Netscape 4: they just don't like the revised interface.

>3. When do users switch to the latest browser version?
>--

Perhaps when a critical mass of the pages they visit start using (or relying
on) features not available in the older browser version.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu