Browser usage.

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Nov 17 15:46:24 EST 1997

Bill,

Good questions--and relevent--I just talked to a patron today who has a
Pentium 166 with 32 MB RAM running Win 3.1 with no web browser!  It's like
having a bus engine in a Pinto with no wheels.

I think questions 1 and 2 can be directly traced to the technical
"familiarity" or competence of the users.  Think about it, the majority of
home users are using what came with their computers.  Corporate users are
using what their tech staff have last loaded.  Unless you follow the
"computer" scene, can you really be expected to know what the newest and
best is?  Are you going to shell out money for the lasest bells and
whistles, if what you have now works fine?  But IE is free you
say--true--but you have to know how to download and install--OK--I know,
really basic but from the people I talk to on a regular basis, you might
as well ask them to rewire their motherboard.

They'll continue to use what they have until it becomes an
obstacle(Netscape 2.0) or someone makes a big splash with a
"revolutionary" new browser--or they buy a new computer(Answer to #3).